Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Dalibor Krstovic went on trial in Belgrade accused of raping a Bosniak woman who had been captured by Bosnian Serb forces and was being held at a school in Kalinovik in 1992.

The trial of Dalibor Krstovic, a Bosnian Serb fighter during the Bosnian war who is charged with raping a Bosniak woman in the town of Kalinovik in August 1992, started on Monday at the Higher Court in Belgrade.

According to the indictment, which was read out in court by prosecutor Ljubica Veselinovic, in August 1992 Krstovic came to the Miladin Radojevic elementary school in Kalinovik in south-eastern Bosnia and Herzegovina, where captured Bosniak civilians from the town and other nearby towns were being held.

He raped one woman and allowed a soldier who was with him to rape her too, it is alleged.

Krstovic, who said he was a policeman but that in the summer of 1992 was incorporated into the Bosnian Serb Army, denied the charge.

“I do not consider myself guilty,” he told the court.

He said that he went to the school in Kalinovik because his relatives were in captivity on Bosniak-controlled territory and that he heard “from soldiers, from people” that there was going to be an exchange of captured civilians for Serbs captured by Bosnian forces.

As no one at the school could give him more information about the exchange or his family members, he left. He denied raping anyone there.

Protected witnesses were also scheduled to testify on Monday but judge Zorana Trajkovic said they refused to come to Belgrade because of health problems and the long distance they would have had to travel.

Krstovic was originally indicted in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 2017 and the case was then handed over to the Serbian authorities.

The next trial hearing will be held in March.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Pro-Russian Telegram Channels Try to Spark Discontent over Dodik Warrant
The most influential pro-Russian Telegram channels have been publishing a series of inflammatory articles about an arrest warrant for Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik, apparently intended to stir up public discontent.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Parents Worried About Injuries to Children in New TikTok Challenges
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide