Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The Prosecution said the first-instance verdict violated a number of procedures and the law and was based on incorrect and incomplete fact-finding. It called either for a new trial, or for a conviction.

The former commander of the First Visegrad Brigade of the Bosnian Army was cleared in July after a three-year trial of the unlawful arrest and inhumane treatment of Bosnian Serb civilians and prisoners-of-war in Rudo and Gorazde in eastern Bosnia in 1992 and 1993.

He had been accused of unlawfully arresting Bosnian Serb civilians from the village of Bucje in Gorazde municipality in July 1992, of forcibly displacing them, inhumane treatment and torture, as well as pillaging their property.

He was also acquitted of issuing an unlawful order to captured members of the Bosnian Serb Army to remove 24 mines with their bare hands from a tunnel in Donja Strmica in Rudo municipality in January 1993, during which two captives were injured.

Appealing the acquittal, Prosecutor Vladimir Simovic said the trial panel had only allowed him to hear four of 11 planned witnesses.

According to him, the first-instance verdict contained no decisive facts and ignored statements made by prosecution witnesses from the Bucje and prisoners-of-war in Rudo.

Simovic said the identity of the persons who committed these inhumane acts, as well as the accused himself, had been clearly established.

He said that all the statements of the witnesses were in agreement and that the witnesses said that Sejdic had introduced himself to them, and that other persons had addressed him as commander.

Defence lawyer Sabina Catovic Hota said the prosecution had looked selectively at the testimony of the witnesses. She said that it was incomprehensible that the prosecutor had completely disregarded a video from the period, which shows that he did not match the descriptions made by the victims.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Local Wartime Security Chief Acquitted of Rape Charges in Bosnia
Bosnia's state court ruled that Andrija Bjelosevic was not guilty of the multiple rape of a Bosniak woman in Derventa during the 1990s war, questioning the reliability of her testimony.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldier Convicted of Forced Disappearances
The Bosnian state court convicted wartime Bosnian Serb Army soldier Zoran Ilic of the forced disappearances of 16 Bosniak civilians who were seized by troops near Rogatica in June 1992.
Bosnian Serb Ex-Soldiers Plead Not Guilty to Aiding Genocide
Seven Bosnian Army Ex-Troops Convicted of Wartime Prisoner Abuse
Bosnia Convicts Serb Ex-Fighter of Raping Woman Prisoner