Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals in The Hague on Tuesday granted early release to Berislav Pusic after he served two-thirds of his ten-year sentence for committing wartime crimes from 1992 to 1994.

“Although I have taken into consideration the gravity of the crime for which he was found guilty, I have also considered the fact that Pusic has evidently accepted the responsibility for those crimes and I consider he has demonstrated the signs of rehabilitation,” said the decision by the president of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals, Theodor Meron.

Meron also said that there were health reasons for giving early release to Pusic, who was the head of the wartime Bosnian Croat prisoner exchange commission.

In November last year, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia convicted Pusic of participating in a joint criminal enterprise aimed at persecuting and ethnically cleansing Bosniaks from Herceg-Bosnia, alongside Jadranko Prlic, Bruno Stojic, Slobodan Praljak, Milivoje Petkovic and Valentin Coric.

The court said the six Bosnian Croat officials wanted to annex the territory to a ‘Greater Croatia’.

While the verdict was being read out, Praljak drank poison in the courtroom and died soon afterwards. The others are serving their sentences.

    Najčitanije
    Saznajte više
    Pro-Russian Telegram Channels Try to Spark Discontent over Dodik Warrant
    The most influential pro-Russian Telegram channels have been publishing a series of inflammatory articles about an arrest warrant for Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik, apparently intended to stir up public discontent.
    UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
    The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
    Parents Worried About Injuries to Children in New TikTok Challenges
    Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
    Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide