Friday, 4 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The Bosnian state court said on Tuesday that since it was set up, it has acquitted 60 Bosnian Serbs of war crimes or genocide – an attempt to counter allegations of bias from Serbs over the acquittal of Naser Oric earlier this month.

Of the 60, more than 50 are former members of the Bosnian Serb Army or Interior Ministry forces in the country’s Republika Srpska entity, while the others are former civilian officials, paramilitary leaders or detention camp guards.

The state court also said it had handed down a series of acquittals in in cases related to genocide and war crimes in Srebrenica.

It said named the acquitted defendants as Milos Stupar, Aleksandar Cvetkovic, Momir Pelemis, Zdravko Bozic, Zeljko Zaric, Zoran Zivanovic, Dragan Neskovic, Zoran Ilic, Miladin Stevanovic, Zoran Tomic, Nedjo Ikonic, Milovan Matic, Dragisa Zivanovic and Velibor Maksimovic.

The court has also acquitted high-ranking Bosnian Serb civil and police officials Goran Saric, Momcilo Mandic and Gojko Klickovic.

The first-instance verdict acquitting Naser Oric, who was charged with war crimes in Srebrenica and Bratunac in 1992, provoked harsh reactions from political leaders in Republika Srpska and Serbia.

Republika Srpska President, Milorad Dodik accused the court of being biased because the judge in the Oric trial was a Bosniak (Bosnian Muslim).

“It’s enough for a Muslim to judge a Muslim and you will be acquitted,” Dodik said.

He also threatened to revive the idea of a referendum that will question the legitimacy of the state-level court and prosecution.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic said the verdict was proof that Serbs’ lives were not considered to be “worth as much as other lives”.

But the president of the state court, Ranko Debevec, denied any institutional bias.

“The court of Bosnia and Herzegovina works professionally in accordance with evidence provided by the prosecution and not on the grounds of political and media speculation and pressures,” Debevec told BIRN.

The state court was set up in 2003 and handed down its first war crimes verdict in 2007.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
Pro-Russian Telegram Channels Try to Spark Discontent over Dodik Warrant
The most influential pro-Russian Telegram channels have been publishing a series of inflammatory articles about an arrest warrant for Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik, apparently intended to stir up public discontent.
Syria Looks to Bosnia’s Experience to Deal with War’s Mass Graves
Parents Worried About Injuries to Children in New TikTok Challenges
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses