Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Radovan Karadzic urged the judges at the Mechanism for International Tribunals in The Hague during a status conference in his trial on Monday to allow him a laptop, claiming he has back pain from spending hours at a desktop computer.

He also asked to be allowed access to the internet and Skype so he can find material for his work and communicate with his family.

Judge Theodor Meron said that the Hague Tribunal’s secretariat will address Karadzic’s request soon.

Karadzic also said that he felt like he had been sentenced to death as a result of his isolation in prison.

Speaking about his health, Karadzic said he felt better and that he was satisfied with the treatment he was getting from the staff at eth UN detention centre.

At earlier status conferences, Karadzic had complained about his deteriorating health, which he said was caused by the years he has spent in his cell.

He has been in the Hague detention unit since his arrest in 2008.

In March last year, Karadzic was sentenced to 40 years in prison for his involvement in the Srebrenica genocide, crimes against humanity across Bosnia and Herzegovina, terrorising the population of Sarajevo and taking UN peacekeepers hostage.

However, he was acquitted of genocide in several Bosnian municipalities in 1992.

Both Karadzic and the Hague prosecution have appealed against the verdict, with the former Bosnian Serb political leader asking to be acquitted of all charges and the prosecutors asking for his sentence to be increased to life in prison.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
Pro-Russian Telegram Channels Try to Spark Discontent over Dodik Warrant
The most influential pro-Russian Telegram channels have been publishing a series of inflammatory articles about an arrest warrant for Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik, apparently intended to stir up public discontent.
Syria Looks to Bosnia’s Experience to Deal with War’s Mass Graves
Parents Worried About Injuries to Children in New TikTok Challenges
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses