Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Jovica Stanisic’s defence lawyer Wayne Jordash on Wednesday disputed a prosecution witness’s claim that the Serbian State Security Service supplied arms to the self-proclaimed Serb Autonomous Region of Krajina rebel statelet in Croatia in 1991.

Stanisic and his assistant at the Serbian State Security Service, Franko Simatovic, also known as Frenki, are being retried at the Mechanism for International Tribunals in The Hague for the persecution, murders, deportations and forcible resettlement of Croat and Bosniak civilians during the wars in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Stanisic’s lawyer presented the protected prosecution witness, codenamed RFJ-066, with a statement by the then leader of the Serb Autonomous Region of Krajina, Milan Martic, who said that local Serbs took weapons from police stations and military depots or purchased them from abroad.

Witness RFJ-066, who testified via video link, said the weapons arrived “from nearby garrisons and were sent by JNA officers who were favourably disposed towards Serbs and Yugoslav-oriented”.

Jordash reminded the witness that he had not mentioned this in his statement included in the case file.

“You attribute all that to Stanisic? Why?” the defence lawyer asked.

The witness responded by saying that Martic’s statement about the weapons was “propaganda and an exaggeration”, because “the only weapons that were bought actually came from Zastava factory in Kragujevac ”.

“No weapons had been taken from military warehouses as yet. This happened in April 1991,” RFJ-066 said.

When asked whether the JNA took the Serbs’ side in Croatia in September 1991, the witness replied: “I do not know exactly.”

Stanisic and Simatovic both pleaded not guilty in December last year after the appeals chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia overturned their acquittal in their first trial.

The tribunal ruled on December 15 that there were serious legal and factual errors when Stanisic and Simatovic were initially acquitted of war crimes in 2013, and ordered the case to be retried and all the evidence and witnesses reheard in full by new judges.

The trial continues.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
Pro-Russian Telegram Channels Try to Spark Discontent over Dodik Warrant
The most influential pro-Russian Telegram channels have been publishing a series of inflammatory articles about an arrest warrant for Republika Srpska President Milorad Dodik, apparently intended to stir up public discontent.
Syria Looks to Bosnia’s Experience to Deal with War’s Mass Graves
Parents Worried About Injuries to Children in New TikTok Challenges
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses