Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

All four Hague Tribunal war crimes defendants from Republika Srpska who are being held at the UN Detention Unit in Scheveningen will be given money from the Republika Srpska budget to cover their personal expenses, Milorad Kojic, the director of the Republic Centre for the Investigation of War, War Crimes and the Search for the Missing, said on Tuesday.

“A total of 40,000 BAM is available. It will be paid in equal allocations to each of them on a monthly basis until the end of the year,” said Kojic.

Kojic said the first payments could be made next month.

The money will go to Radovan Karadzic, the first president of Republika Srpska, who was jailed for 40 years in prison last month for genocide and other crimes, and to former Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic, who is still on trial.

The other two men who will receive payments are former Bosnian Serb interior minister Mico Stanisic and former regional security services chief Stojan Zupljanin.

Both the former Bosnian Serb police officials were convicted by the Hague Tribunal in 2013 of a series of war crimes against Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats during the 1990s conflict, included murders, persecution, torture and deportation. Their appeals verdicts are expected to be delivered in June.

Mladic’s lawyer Miodrag Stojanovic said the money was intended to cover the defendants’ expenditures at the canteen, and for telephone bills, clothes and other essentials.

“The money is intended exclusively for the defendants, not the defence teams. The Hague Tribunal pays for the defence,” Stojanovic said.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children