Saturday, 5 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The Bosnian prosecution admitted that the most complex cases will not be solved by the end of this year – the deadline set by the state-level war crimes strategy.

The head of the Bosnian prosecution war crimes department, Gordana Tadic, told a conference in Sarajevo on Thursday that the deadline will be missed and asked for another three years to complete the task.

“We should have finished the most complex investigations within seven years of the adoption of the strategy , which will be in December. We will obviously not achieve this and we are already asking for a new deadline which should be at least three years ,” Tadic said.

She said however that the eight cases sent to the country by the prosecutors at the Hague Tribunal were almost finished.

“These cases were the priority last year and the prosecutors who worked on them had all the assistance they needed,” she said.

Tadic said the Bosnian prosecution had a productive year in 2014 and raised a lot of indictments related to rape and sexual violence offences during the war.

According to estimates, there are still around 500 uncompleted war crimes investigations at the state level and at least as many on the entity level.

Prosecutors Branko Mitrovic and Munib Halilovic, who presented the work of entity level prosecutions at the conference, criticised the way in which cases are sent from the state level to the Republika Srpska and Federation prosecutions.
 
They said that their workrate was hampered by the fact that indictments were already raised at the state level.

“We have nothing against the transfer of cases, but send them down in the investigation phase. It is easier to raise indictments then work on someone else’s indictments,” said Mitrovic.

Milan Tegeltija, the head of the Bosnian High Judicial and Prosecutorial Council, HJPC, which oversees much of the country’s judiciary, said that in 2014, 20 new prosecutors were hired, which speeded up the entire process.

“Prosecutions finished 25 per cent more criminal complaints by, solved 63 per cent more investigations and raised 91 per cent more indictments compared to the year before,” said Tegeltija.

Jadranka Lokmic Misiraca from the HJPC, who presented the work of the prosecutions at the conference, said that slow investigations were the biggest problem.

“I cannot find an explanation for investigations which go on for eight years, unless the suspect is on the run,” said Lokmic MIsiraca.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Detektor Journalist Wins First Prize at ‘Remembering Through Art’ Exhibition
A testimony by Srebrenica mother Emina Hajdarevic about the son she lost in the 1995 Srebrenica genocide, filmed by Detektor journalist Lamija Grebo, has won first prize at the Remembering through Art online exhibition.
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnia Indicts Five Serb Ex-Military Policemen for Genocide
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children