Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Ilustration. Photo: BIRN BiH

Documents that BIRN has seen show that the Prosecutor’s Office of Tuzla Canton has dropped an investigation into election fraud committed back in 2016, “because it is too hard to determine who committed the fraud”.

“The investigation established that a criminal offence was committed, but, due to the large number of people who participated in the election process at disputed polling stations, it is difficult to determine who was behind it,” the prosecution told BIRN.

Jasmin Habul, a candidate from the northern Bosnian city, reported the case to the prosecutors in 2018 after discovering that someone had tampered with the election results, which resulted in him losing his mandate in the local elections in 2016.

He said he had waited three years to get any answers to his appeal. Because of that, Habul decided to contact the state prosecutor’s office to take the case.

“I made the request because nothing had happened for more than six years since the election theft and I did not have any normal correspondence with the Cantonal Prosecutor’s Office,” Habul told BIRN.

“For more than eight months, the prosecutor who was supposed to cooperate with me on the case would not call at all,” he added.

Only four days after sending his request to the state prosecution, Habul was then informed by the Cantonal Prosecutor’s Office in Tuzla that the investigation in this case had been terminated.

“After additional investigative actions and numerous checks, the investigation against this person was suspended at the end of November 2022 because there was not enough evidence that the suspect committed this criminal offence,” it said, adding that the investigation can be reopened in case of new evidence.

“It only shows the kind of environment we live in, that prosecutions and courts simply work in favour of the big ones, not in favour of justice and the law,” Habul told BIRN, adding that it is absurd that he is expected to find fresh evidence alongside investigative agencies.

The prosecutor’s office does not deny that fraud happened.

    Najčitanije
    Saznajte više
    UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
    The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
    Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
    The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
    Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
    Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children