This post is also available in: Bosnian
Potocari, Srebrenica. Photo: BIRN BiH
Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Missing Persons Institute said that 50 genocide victims will be laid to rest at a collective funeral at the Srebrenica Memorial Centre on July 11, the day of the anniversary commemoration of the mass killings in 1995.
Saha Bumbulovic said that her father Adil Selimovic, who was killed on July 13, 1995 at the age of 59, will be among those who will be buried.
Bumbulovic said that about 80 per cent of her father’s bones have been found.
“In some way I am glad that he will find rest, but at the same time it’s hard for me since I lost all my loved ones,” Bumbulovic said.
She explained that 21 of her relatives were among around 8,000 Bosniaks from Srebrenica who were killed by Bosnian Serb forces – a crime that has been classified as genocide by international courts.
“My sister and sister-in-law were taken away together with their children and have never been found. They have been missing without trace ever since. Nobody has ever found them,” she said Bumbulovic.
The Missing Persons Institute said that three minors will be among the victims to be buried at this year’s anniversary. The youngest is Salim Mustafic, who was 16 when he was killed, while Vahid Smajlovic and Elvir Muminovic were 17.
Missing Persons Institute spokesperson Emza Fazlic said that so far the remains of 6,671 people have been buried at the Srebrenica Potocari Centre. Monday’s burials will take the number to 6,721.
According to the Missing Persons Institute, the remains of around 1,200 more Srebrenica victims have yet to be found.