Sunday, 24 may 2026.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

According to the indictment, Vida Lujic, together with two other unidentified fighters, entered a house in Brcko on the day of the assault, wearing a uniform and armed with a gun.

He pulled out the weapon, loaded it with bullets and put it back in his pocket in front of a women who was in the house, whose identity was not disclosed in the indictment.

After she handed over her money and jewellery, Vida Lujic said “Come with me”, took her into the bathroom and locked the door. He raped her twice in the bathroom and then took her into the bedroom and raped her again, the charges allege.

During the assault, the victim asked Vida Lujic to kill her, to which he replied he was “not in charge of that”, the indictment says. While he was raping the woman, the two other soldiers broke everything in the house.

Judge Dejan Terzic said that there were no mitigating circumstances and noted that Vida Lujic, who was not present in court for the verdict, had been previously convicted of a similar crime.

“He used his dominance over the victim and her helplessness because she was already scared enough because her husband had been arrested,” Terzic said.

Vida Lujic insisted during the trial that he was not member of any armed unit during the war and that he did not know the victim.

But other witnesses, among whom was a member of the Red Berets, said Vida Lujic was a member of the Special Operations Unit, whose members have been accused of involvement in several wartime and post-war crimes.

The victim’s husband testified during the trial that on the day of the crime, a group of Serb soldiers came to his house and took him away for interrogation. After he came back, a neighbour told him that his wife had been raped.

The indictment was originally issued by Brcko District Prosecutor’s Office in Bosnia and Herzegovina in January 2018. But because Vida Lujic is a Serbian citizen, the case was transferred from the District Court in the Bosnian town of Doboj to the Higher Court in Belgrade, and the trial started in December 2018.

This is a first-instance verdict and can be appealed.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
Ogledni čas u Osnovnoj školi "Nafija Sarajlić" sa profesoricom Melisom Forić Flasto
Srebrenica Resolution Anniversary: How Sarajevo Pupils Learned About Genocide Through Their Peers’ Stories
While writing words like “happiness” and “play” on the blackboard, pupils at a Sarajevo elementary school had no idea that they would be taught about the stories of children whose young lives were cut short by war and genocide. Through the testimonies of survivors and conversations about family memories, as well as facts established by courts, they learned about the past in a novel way.
Mail-Order Drug Stronger Than Heroin Poses Challenge for Bosnia and the Region
Detektor has found that powerful synthetic drugs being sold online can be easily ordered to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Croatia and Montenegro without major obstacles. Experts warn these online drug sales present a fresh challenge for police, customs and courier services, as even small amounts can be deadly.
Civilian War Victims Have Rights to Benefits, But Many Can’t Be Accessed