Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

Although more than two decades have passed since the attack on Ahmici, not all of the victims of this serious crime have been buried. 85 victims have been identified and buried. The remains of 31 more victims still haven’t been found.

On April 16, 1993, civilians were killed and buildings and homes were set on fire during the attack on Ahmici. A three month old baby was the youngest victim, and a person aged over 80 was the oldest.

“The Hague Tribunal processed those who issued the orders. It sentenced and processed only two direct perpetrators. Our prosecution and our court in Sarajevo have not processed or sentenced anyone so far. Standing here today, we are asking them whether they consider the Ahmici case complete and whether it was possible for only two direct perpetrators to kill 116 innocent civilians in Ahmici,” said Elvedin Kermo, the president of a victims association called “16th of April,” based Ahmici.

Advan Akeljic, the mayor of the municipality of Vitez, said this date symbolized a day of remembrance for the crimes that took place in Ahmici.

“Only the truth, and reconciliation based on the truth, without attempting to forget the events of the past, are preconditions for meaningful coexistence in this region,” Akeljic said.

Like in previous years, prayers were said for the 85 victims buried at the Shahid cemetery in Stari Vitez. However, the families of the remaining 31 victims are still searching for the remains of their loved ones.

“Each year we appeal to good people, to our Croat neighbours, to tell us where the bodies of the victims are, so we can bury them in a dignified manner,” said Elvedin Kermo.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children