The remains of at least two people, believed to be Serbs killed in the 1992-95 war, were exhumed from a hidden grave in the Jajce area in central Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Bosnian state prosecution said on Tuesday that the human remains were found in Carevo Polje in the Jajce municipality and are believed to be those of Bosnian Serb war victims.
“So far, the remains of two people have been found and the exhumation process continues. The remains found will be transferred to facilities at the Banja Luka City Cemetery, where the process of forensic processing and the identification of those to whom the remains belong will continue,” the prosecution said in a statement.
In a separate discovery, Bosnia and Herzegovina’s Institute for Missing Persons announced last week that the incomplete remains of at least three people were exhumed from a site in Bisce Polje near Mostar.
The Institute for Missing Persons said in a statement that it believed that the remains were also those of Serb war victims.
“After the exhumation, the remains that were found were transported to the Sutina City Cemetery in Mostar, where an autopsy will be performed and bone samples removed with the help of DNA analysis to determine the identity of the people whose remains were found or to determine whether they were victims from the past war or older remains,” the statement said.