Based in Sarajevo, the Balkan Investigative Reporting Network in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIRN BiH) is a nongovernmental media organization which specializes in monitoring and reporting on war crime trials.
Since it was formed in 2005, BIRN BiH has been analyzing and informing the public about transitional justice issues and the work of war crime chambers at state and local courts across Bosnia and Herzegovina.
BIRN BiH supports the development of high quality media and a civil society fully engaged in Bosnia and Herzegovina’s governance as well as securing and exercising democratic rights and obligations.
In line with this purpose, BIRN BiH publishes a substantial body of high quality reports, investigations and analyses on crucial transitional justice, political, economic and social issues. The organization facilitates broad public debate on these topics by hosting cross-sector conferences.
The primary material stored in the BIRN BiH archive includes daily reports on war crime trials from courts in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. They are the baseline for all our other products, such as TV and radio shows, and also serve as a source of inspiration for analyses, the stories of victims and interviews with relevant stakeholders.
BIRN BIH also produced two documentary films, “Missing You…” and “Silent Scream.” “Missing You…” depicts the suffering and harsh reality facing people who lost family members during times of peace and war. “Silent Scream” explores the trauma sexual abuse victims still experience twenty years after the end of the Bosnian war.
In addition to our daily work, BIRN BiH provides knowledge-based training to individual journalists and media organizations via vocational and workshop-based methods.
- More than 21.000 articles both in Bosnian and English
- Over 540 war crime cases covered before 20 courts
- 86 episodes of TV Justice
- More than 1.500 daily, weekly and monthly radio shows
- Five publications: History Overshadowed by Trivia vol.I – Regional Media Coverage of the Radovan Karadzic Arrest, History Over Trivia vol.II – Regional and International Media Coverage of the First Year of the Radovan Karadizc Trial, Time for Truth: Review of the Work of the War Crimes Chamber of the Court of BiH 2005-2010, Pursuit for Justice: Guide to the War Crimes Chamber of the Court of BiH vol.II and Spotlight on Mladic: Villian or Celebrity?
Starting in 2015, BIRN BiH developed a new sub-programme dedicated to monitoring and reporting on cases of organized crime, corruption and terrorism. By fully respecting all professional standards as well as reporting objectively and independently, BIRN BiH has been recognized by many professionals and representatives of state institutions as an organization capable of expanding its field of work, which continues to inform and educate the public on judiciary issues.